Every Dog: A Book of 500 Breeds (Nancy Hajeski)
Every Dog: A Book of 500 Breeds packs in a lot of information. Illustrations, text, charts, tables and icons make it an ideal reference for dog lovers, who will enjoy flipping through the pages. The 500 breeds are thoroughly researched and represent canines from around the world. There are ancient breeds and modern breeds, including the 'designer dogs' that have become so popular in recent years. They range from rare breeds for the dog lover that wants something different, to the favourite breeds that make for a reliable choice. The 500 breeds are organized into various categories, such as type (which share loosely common ancestry and traits), purpose, and more. For example, Spitz-Type Dogs typically have thick and dense fur, pointed ears and muzzles, and puffy tails that curl up and over their rears. They descend from ancient breeds that came from Arctic regions, although today's spitz dogs were developed all over the world. Spitz dogs include the Akita, Canaan, American Eskimo, and the Pomeranian. Each breed is described on one page and features these details:
- English and any alternative names, place of origin and year of first known introduction;
- Icons and keys indicating all available coat colours; exercise requirements; graph indicating average weight, height and life expectancies;
- At a Glance chart rating Intelligence; Ease of training; Affection; Playfulness; Good guard dogs; Good with children; Good with other dogs; and Grooming required;
- Descriptive text and a brief history of the breed;
- Two colour photographs, of one adult and one puppy.
Every Dog: A Book of 500 Breeds is a fabulous reference. In addition to the hundreds of breeds of all type, origin and purpose, the book includes the many designer breeds developed over the last couple of decades, making it undoubtedly the most up to date and detailed breed book currently available.
- Paperback: 536 pages
- Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd (24 Oct. 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1770858253
- ISBN-13: 978-1770858251
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.9 x 19 cm
About the Author:
Nancy Hajeski is an editor and New York Times bestselling author of nonfiction, romantic fiction and graphic novel adaptations. Her many books include Ali: The Official Portrait of the Greatest of All Time and a series of graphic novel adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.